Thursday 8 August 2013

Operation Goodbye 80s designers DONE

I am still on holidays, so unable to scrap but that doesn't mean that I am not hard at work. I am visiting my parents on Vancouver Island and they still live in the house I grew up in. They have owned their house for 33 years. When they moved into the house the kitchen had carpet (oh yes i said carpet) as that was the style back then. As the years have come and gone, my parents have renovated their entire house - except for the kitchen and one of the upstairs bedroom.

We have been harassing my dad for years. . .yes YEARS to get rid of the carpet in the kitchen but he did not want to do it until they renovated the kitchen. A couple of years ago when they were moving in their new fridge, stove and dishwasher (still no renos) the carpet ripped to reveal linoleum underneath. Still my dad didn't want to rip it up.

Well Sunday morning dad and I are sitting drinking our morning coffee watching the news and he casually tells me that he spoke with mom the previous night about ripping up the carpet but mom doesn't think their is anything underneat and doesn't want to walk on bare floors. I said that there was linoleum under atleast part of the carpet because you could see it under the hole. He agreed and we talked about how maybe when things at worked slowed down (he has been working 12-15 hour days for the last two weeks) that he would do it.

When I came home from visting my girlfriend at the hospital (she gave birth Saturday night to a beautiful baby girl). I told my mom about the conversation i had with dad that morning and told her that we should rip up the carpet today before dad gets home from work because he may change his mind but if the carpet is already gone then he can't change his mind. Mom agreed.

Hence our job: operation goodbye 80s designers

Before:

Carpet taken up to reveal rubber padding:

My son Kyle (21 months) helping grandma clean up the rubber she is scrapping off:


Trying a DIY method of loosening up padding and carpet glue using newspapers and hot boiling water:

My son loves to help:

Mom and kyle scrapping (hot water and newspaper method didn't work):



End of day 1 (still so muc hwork to do):

Day 2 (hard at work):

End of day 2, we found an amazing product that worked to remove the glue/padding:

End of day 3, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel:

Day 4, it's done!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment