Friday 18 April 2014

Papercrafting Earth Day Challenge (layout 89-90)

Over at PaperCrafters Corner they have had a month-long challenge to celebrate earth day. The challenge is:
1. Create something, anything, with a previously-used or long-languishing paper-based item from your stash, or something that is begging to be repurposed - no buying anything new!
This includes, but is not limited to: stamping, art journaling or layout “mistakes” that you incorporate into a new project; bits from cards you’ve received; patterned paper you had to have, but have never used; “unloved” patterned paper left over from a paper pad; all the chipboard, cardboard, tags, envelopes, stickers, embellishments that are taking up room in your craft space; boxes; and, books.
2. Create something, anything, with an item that is eligible for recycling – again, you must use something you already have in hand!
This includes, but is not limited to: craft product packaging; magazines or catalogs; plastic produce containers or netting; packaging labels; drink cartons or bottles; food boxes or cans; bottles; and, aluminum cans.
3. Create something, anything, with something you would normally throw away – again, use something you have in hand and show us how you are reducing waste!
This includes, but is not limited to: mailing envelopes or packaging you’ve received; product packaging; sticker backings; chipboard frames (the piece left when you pop out game pieces, letters or shapes); and, those scraps of paper most of us save, but don’t always use (despite our best intentions!).

And, there are Three Bonus Entry Options:
1. Incorporate the world, or any country other than your own, into your papercrafting project for one extra entry;
2. Incorporate “peace” into your papercrafting project, in any manner you see fit, for another extra entry.
3. Include instructions (the teaching element), including photos or a short video, with your submitted papercrafting project for a third bonus entry.
- See more at: http://papercrafterscorner.com/blog/papercrafting-challenge-earth-day/#sthash.G4LWjTkS.dpuf

Here are my entries:

First I thought I would show you my scrap paper container (yes these are all scraps [i pretty much keep everything] from leftover pages):













My first entry: Family (using scraps & bonus "peace") is a scrap page my Auntie Julie sent me in my Christmas card this year. It is a picture of her and my dad visiting santa in 1957. I have been waiting to scrap this picture because I was wanting to do it justice because it is such a special picture.



All materials from my stash:
the background paper (paper pizzazz) I have had for about 10 years but didn't really like it (too busy for my liking) but when I put it together with the vintage looking embellishments (k&company tc Christmas die-cut cardstock & acetate; that i've had in my stash for almost two years) I thought that this would be the perfect paper. I wanted to break it up a bit so I used another larger piece of paper from my stash and turned it around (so i could use the white side). The red piece of paper is also from my stash. The candy cane border (k&company visions of christmas) I have had for probably four (or more) years and the snowflake border (recollections) probably two years. The presents (jolee's boutique presents) under the tree were actually a present from my mom who found them at a garage sale last summer. The title (Kaisercraft family rub-ons words) I bought from an online store from their clearance section. The date (diy thickers with distress paint festive berries) were added to show the date. I wasn't completely happy with this layout so i showed my husband who suggested I distress the background (his words were "it looks old but the white looks too new so can you do that thing where you make it look older??") so I took distress ink (evergreen bough) and a blending pad and blended it all over he white paper. I also have the added twist of "peace" as a sticker under the title.

My second entry: Away I go (using scraps & recycling - aluminum foil)


















The second layout I painted the border with distress paint (mowed lawn, antique linen, vintage photo). I then went through my stash box and picked out a couple of papers that went together (authentique, uknown, gcd studios, blitzen collection, dcwv cardstock), then trimmed and layered them. I cut them with scissors I have had for over ten years. I then traced a circle out of aluminum foil. The background I painted with distress paint (salty ocean) and misted with lindy's stamp gang starbursts (sea grass green, whale watch blue). The stickers I've had about four years (bought at a garage sale). The letters (studio calico) and words (authentique diction), I got at a grab bag at a local scrapbooking store.

Thank you for stopping by, hope you have time to play (you still have a couple hours to enter. . .i know i work so much better under pressure): http://papercrafterscorner.com/blog/papercrafting-challenge-earth-day/


No comments:

Post a Comment