Thursday 13 February 2014

Memorial - Scrap Around the World February Mood Board Challenge

Last week my brother's father-in-law (suddenly) passed away. Although he had not been feeling well over the last couple of months, it came as quite the shock to all of us. My sister-in-law has two sisters and they are not doing so well. Instead of putting my sorrow for them into words, I turned to creating and created a memorial canvas for each of them. I knew I wanted a black and white photo but beyond that I didn't know what I wanted to do. . .then I came across this month's Scrap Around the World mood board:


I was immediately drawn to the quote and although it was not quite appropriate for this project, I really liked the colours and the splatters. I also took inspiration from the picture of the pots and the triangles that pop out of the pot (I intrepreted it in my canvas as the harlequin  masking with the modeling paste.

Although this is the first time I have submitted to Scrap Around the World, I have been following for a couple of months. Here is my project (I blurred the faces on purpose in respect to the family as their mourn):





















To create this canvas I tore 7 dots studio (love letters) paper and glued it to the canvas. I then used Ranger Emboss it clear with The Crafter's Workshop (kasbah 12x12) template and heat embossed Stampendous (opaque white) with my heat gun. I then used Tim Holtz layering stencils (dot fad & harlequin) with my home-made modeling paste and let it dry. I then used tattered angels glimmer mist (cupid, rose, pearl) and misted all over the canvas. I then took acrylic white paint and splattered randomly over the canvas. I then waited a couple of hours for it to dry completely. I matted the photo onto black cardstock and glued it. I then put the banner (heidi swapp cluster banner) on the top and bottom of the photo. I then glued prima white leaves and then added Jolee's (mauve crochet flower) and Flourish with a Bling flower (black & white). To finish the canvas I painted around the edges and sides with distress paint (black soot).

I created three of these (one for each sister), each has different paper and different splatter patterns but basically the same "look." I put them in the mail today (as they live 1200km away) and hopefully they will make it before one sister leaves to go back home. I hope when they open it, they will think of all the happy times they had with their dad and hopefully it will ease their pain a little bit. I hope they know that even though I am not physically there with them that I am thinking of them and am so sorry for their loss.

Thank you for stopping by and your wonderful comments. If you haven't already joined Scrap Around the World you seriously need to go check them out (they have some amazing inspiration). There is also time to join this month's challenge (you have until February 28th to submit your project): http://www.scraparoundtheworld.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/february-2014-challenge-ten-deliciously.html

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful way for keeping memories. Thank you for playing along with us at Scrap Around The World.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gift from the heart...so precious. Thank you for sharing it at Scrap Around the World

    ReplyDelete