Thursday 9 July 2015

distress ink pad watercolour tutorial

One of my favorite things about scrapbooking tools is when we are able to use it for multiple uses!!! My newest technique I discovered is using Tim Holtz distress pads as watercolours. As you may (or may not) be aware, Tim Holtz products are fabulous when they are mixed with water so I used that info and discovered a way to use them as watercolours.

Here is how you can use distress ink pads, acrylic block and water as watercolours:

 Stamp your image using a non water based ink, I used the following:

I stamped multiple images on 3x4 paper:

These are the colours of distress ink I have (I know I need to grow my collection):
 

Grab your acrylic block and choice of distress ink (I'm using peacock feathers):

Open your ink pad and put your acrylic block on your craft space:

Tap your ink pad onto the acrylic block a couple of times:

acrylic block stamped with ink:

mist the acrylic block with some water (I used my mini mister):

acrylic block misted with water:

since my images are small, I'm using a fine tip brush:

swirl your brush into the water and ink, mixing them together: 

starting at the bottom of the image, work your way up (the colour will lighten as you go up):



next I picked two colours for the tulips:

I stamped seedless preserves on one corner, and picked raspberry on the other corner:

I misted a little bit of water in the middle of the two colours:


I then used my brush to drag the water into the seperate inks, thus having two separate colours on one acrylic block:

Here I stamped scattered straw in one corner and wild honey in the other and sprayed water in the middle:

using my brush i then blended the two shades of yellow to make a new colour:

the mixed colour on my stamped sunshine image:

finished watercolour images:

final projects, I turned them into cards:




12 comments:

  1. ALL YOUR CARDS ARE SO ADORABLE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards! I love how they all look like watercolor paint! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty cards. Thanks for the step by step. (I thought your comment about needing to grow your distress ink collection - I only have one color! lol).

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME cards and coloring! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a great tutorial! I love your cards - they are so cute... and that's just what I need, to sit down with a few sets, stamp and color and then assemble. Would take care of several cards at once! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool cards and tips, Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the informative tutorial. Your cards are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful collection and great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have really been enjoying my Distress Inks like this, and I love the technique. These are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cards and tips. I just love this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tut. Lovely cards. Hugz

    ReplyDelete